Re: FYI https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/CGroupsV2

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 08:10:09AM -0500, Daniel Walsh wrote:
> I have opened a Change Request to change the defaults for Fedora 31 to
> Cgroups V2.  I am looking for what packages will be affected by this
> change.   Basically any package that adjusts Cgroups via the CgroupFS,
> my understanding is working the the systemd APIs, you should be fine.
>
> Packages That I know will be affected:
>
> Container Tools
>
> * Runc, Podman, Buildah, Kubernetes, Docker, Moby-engine
>
> Virtualization tools
>
> * Libvirt
>
> Java
>
> * jvm
>
> Install
>
> * Anaconda
>
> Anyone know of other packages?

What is the expectation of compatibility for applications running inside
containers ?

Historically any running containers will see a v1 hierarchy inside their
container. If the host is switched to v2, then presumably applications
inside the container will also see a v2 layout.

The wiki page says tools/scripts would be unaffected if they had used
the systemd interface to access cgroups. This won't apply to tools
or scripts inside the container though as the containers rarely run
systemd inside.

If this is correct, then even if all software in Fedora supports v2,
users might still see breakage of applications they are running in
containers on Fedora.

Admittedly the set of things likely to be affected in this way is probably
fairly small, but it feels like something that should be described in
the change page on the wiki.

Regards,
Daniel