Re: Proposal: Stewardship Group / SIG for taking care of otherwise "module-only" packages

On 13. 02. 19 15:32, Fabio Valentini wrote:
On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 3:23 PM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

* Fabio Valentini:

In the past few weeks, it has come up regularly that future
"module-only" packages are orphaned (and hence will soon be retired),
and nobody stepped up to fix this issue - especially for non-leaf
packages. I don't think fedora as a project has a solution for this
yet.

I propose to create a "Stewardship" Group / SIG that will take care of
such packages - either until a new main maintainer steps up, or until
modularity matures enough so it won't be necessary anymore. (Or, until
it dies a quiet death, which is always a possibility.) However, I
think this is necessary until the situation stabilizes.

The name sounds very confusing to me, considering that this seems to be
specific to modular content.

That's why I'm asking for comments. I failed to come up with a better
name, though.

This Group / SIG would provide "classic" maintainership for otherwise
semi-abandoned packages that only live on as franken-packages
("modules"), until the remaining shortcomings of modules are overcome,
or until they are abandoned.

But neither "Nostalgia SIG", "Classic Packaging SIG", "Stewardship
SIG", nor "Package Foster Care SIG" names describe this situation
well, either.
At this point, my English / foreign language skills fail me. Better
suggestions are welcome :)

Clusterfuck Prevention SIG?

--
Miro Hrončok