Re: Orphaned packages to be retired

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 at 01:34, Jens-Ulrik Petersen <petersen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 5:44 PM Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Dne 11. 02. 19 v 4:33 Jens-Ulrik Petersen napsal(a):
>>
>> I have to say I am not really enjoying this ongoing aggressive package retirement process.
>> If packages are not broken and needed by other packages, then I don't see why we are hurrying to break things.
>> I think a better process might be for maintainers orphaning packages to contact dependent package maintainers directly asking them to take over the package they want to drop.
>>
>> The orphaning procedure [1] states: "5. Announce on devel which package you orphaned, so that others have a chance to take over as maintainer." This sounds reasonable to me, close to what you propose.
>
> In theory yes, but in practice I am rather more likely to notice a direct private mail than a mailing list post.
>
> I had another idea: delegating the retirement of packages to SIGs when appropriate, but of course that may requires a clearer mapping of SIG packages.

The issue here is that we have a "Tragedy of the Commons" and
"Volunteer's Dilemma" going on with people able to not notice things
and expect others to build/fix things for them. However the number of
packages and the amount of work required per release is getting
higher.. The current 'fix' is to orphan packages more quickly and
faster to lower the 'payoff' that people have for coasting. The moving
packages to SIG's makes the commons smaller for each set of packages
which may help with it some.. but may also end up with 'well someone
in the sig will deal with it.. oh no one did' again. The emailing a
person directly doesn't seem to help because lots of packagers seem to
miss direct emails also. In the end there is a level of diminishing
returns for the amount of time that the people volunteering to keep
this going have.. and currently that is in the mass emails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volunteer%27s_dilemma
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

> Jens

Stephen J Smoogen.