Re: Blocking criteria proposal for F30+: Printing

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:24 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 9:58 AM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry that it's taken me so long to get back to this.
> >
> > I think the feedback on this has been mostly positive on the Beta
> > criteria, but I'd like to tweak the phrasing a bit and see if this
> > comes off more favorable:
> >
> > I'd like to propose that we add the following criteria to Beta for Fedora 30+:
> > * Printing must work on at least one printer available to Fedora QA.
> > "Work" is defined as the output from the device matching a preview
> > shown on the GNOME print preview display. (Note that differences in
> > color reproduction are not considered "non-working".)
>
> Does the criterion  pply strictly to the printing of text and line
> art, or does it also apply to gross departures in photographs? If the
> latter:
>
> ^minor differences in color reproduction are not considered "non-working"; or
> ^only major differences in color reproduction are considered "non-working"
>
> Major defined as any of:
> obvious and grossly incorrect scaling (e.g. +/- 20%)
> color inversion, torqued primaries (white becomes black, black becomes
> white; red becomes blue, blue becomes green, etc)
> tone reproduction that obliterates relevant identifying detail in two
> or more test images
>
> With that language I'm trying to carve out only remarkable, WTF level,
> bugs as blockers.

I think we can *probably* leave this as a thing to be decided at a
blocker bug review. I really want to avoid trying to set a hard line
on a topic that is inherently subjective. In general, I think we can
just rely on the "last blocker at Go/No-Go" test for this.

> Next question is what applications to use for printing, since the
> initiating application matters. What if there's a bug in just one
> application? That shouldn't be a printing blocker (it might be a basic
> functionality blocker for that application if it's included in default
> installations). So I'd say pick two. Firefox and LibreOffice? Firefox
> and evince?

How about "Desktop environment's 'test page' functionality" and
whichever basic text editor comes with it.

> Next question, test document(s). European Color Initiative has several
> test PDFs already prepared, perhaps the most applicable for our
> purposes is the visual test (and a subset of it).And for font scaling
> and reproduction, Ghent Working Group has test GWG 9.1 which tests
> various encodings of TrueType, PostScript, and OpenType rendering.
> Also, there's a suite of LibreOffice test files, and while I haven't
> gone through it, I'm willing to bet there's one or two that'd serve as
> a decent sanity tester (in any case I'm not proposing printing out
> entire test suites):
> https://github.com/freedesktop/libreoffice-test-files
>
> The nice thing about standardized tests is the far lower risk of bugs
> in the test file itself, and for sure the applicable developers are
> familiar with them so as they get escalated, it eliminates the kick
> back "how did you create this test file? can you attach it to the
> bug?" etc.

This sounds useful for automating the tests, but I think in general we
don't need to write this into the criteria. They don't need to be that
specific.

> > and this to Final for Fedora 30+:
> > * Printing must work on at least one printer using each of the
> > following drivers:
> >     - The built-in print-to-PDF driver
> >     - The generic IPP driver
> >
> > To clarify, this does not mean that all printers need to function
> > properly that use the IPP driver, just that at least one does (so we
> > know that printing as a whole is unbroken). Contrary to the first
> > proposal, we won't specify any particular hardware makes or models
> > that must work.
>
> I agree with this. One possible sanity test:
>
> 1. "Print" the standardized test file to a PDF file (using the
> built-in print to PDF driver)
> 2. Print both the resulting PDF from 1, and the original standardized
> test file, to the designated IPP printer.
>
> i.e. two physical prints on paper. And within some ballpark on
> scaling, they should appear the same. Some of the subcriteria:
>
> a. PDF file is created from test document
> b. PDF file is viewable with the default PDF viewer
> c. PDF file is printed
> d. Test document is printed
> e. minor differences aside: b, c, and d should not cause a WTF
> reaction by a human

That seems reasonable, though I'd rather have Master Wordsmith Adam
Williamson phrase that better.