Re: Policy regarding service preset enabled (e.g. performance co-pilot)

Hi Georg,

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 6:47 AM Georg Sauthoff <mail@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> I'm asking because installing the dstat replacement[1] in Fedora 29
> resulted in 3 additional always running systemd services[2] and 2 open
> ports.

The new dstat script resides in the pcp-system-tools sub-package of
PCP.  This package depends on python3, python3-pcp and pcp-libs.  None
of these packages contain systemd services.

For folks who are new to PCP, the quick start guide describes the
optional services and some of the tools:
https://pcp.io/docs/guide.html

I wonder if you have installed the (optional) pcp-zeroconf package,
Georg?  This is a convenience package which automates setup of
frequently needed PCP services for use in customer support situations.
You do not need to install this package to use dstat.

The new dstat does not require running services, by default it runs in
a standalone fashion.
However, you can choose to run it as, e.g.:

    $ pcp --host acme.com dstat

and it will sample metrics from pmcd(1) on remote host acme.com.  If
you do choose to run the pmlogger(1) service locally, you can use the
new dstat on historical data as well, e.g.:

    $ pcp --archive 20190209 --start 2:15pm dstat --time --cpu --disk 2 10

But these are new features missing from the old dstat that are
non-default (i.e. only available if these optional PCP services are
running).  The choice is yours.

> Perhaps it's just me, but having 3 services enabled after installing the
> dstat replacement ('which strives for 100% output compatibility with the
> original dstat') feels like a violation of the principle of least
> astonishment.

Agreed - that's why the code is written the way it is, and the
packages are structured the way they are.  It is not the case that you
need to have 3 additional services running when using the new dstat.

cheers.

--
Nathan