Re: Fedora Rawhide-20190205.n.0 compose check report

> On Wed, 2019-02-06 at 16:44 -0500, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> > On 2/6/19 4:17 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > Rawhide isn't really utterly broken: a GTK+ change broke lots of openQA
> > > needles (screenshots) so the tests are failing. I'm in the middle of
> > > re-taking all those now, and will re-run the tests on prod when it's
> > > done, and send a new compose check report.
> >
> > I am curious---if multiple tests fail this way, how do you determine
> > whether the changes are innocuous and re-taken screenshots can be used
> > from now on?
> >
> > I assume there is no automatic criterion, or else you'd be using it for
> > the test, so you just have to eyebal all of them, right?
>
> Essentially that, but openQA has mechanisms for making it easier. It
> has something called 'developer mode' which lets you run the test and,
> any time a screenshot match fails, pause and offer a 'needle editor'
> where you can go and create a new needle. You can base the new needle
> on the closest-matching existing needle, which copies all its
> attributes (including the match area) across, so all you have to do is
> eyeball and confirm the change is as expected, then hit save. Then you
> can resume the test from where you left off, and continue with that
> until all the needles are updated. Then you do the same for a bunch of
> other tests, till all the needles are done. :)
>
> Many needles are shared between tests, so it's not like you're redoing
> the same screens over and over - for each test you'll only have to redo
> any that haven't already been done.
>
> It took me about five hours to do all the new needles for this issue
> (62 of them), and that was with me doing other work in between as well.

Oh, also note/remember that openQA doesn't really match entire
screenshots, it matches *specified areas* of them. And the interfaces
mentioned above have good tools for highlighting the match areas and
showing the difference between what was expected and what was seen.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey