Re: F30 Self-Contained Change proposal: MongoDB Removal

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 10:31 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 5:33 PM John Harris <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 5:29:58 AM EST Ben Cotton wrote:
> > > Fedora has determined that the Server Side Public Licensev1 (SSPL) is
> > > not a Free Software License.
> >
> > For what reason is SSPL considered non-free? As I see, it's essentially a GPL
> > incompatible AGPL license.
> >

> It restricts fields of endeavor and how you can use it. That conflicts
> with freedom 0 of the Free Software Definition. In addition, no one is
> sure it's actually possible to comply with the SSPL as worded, since
> it attempts to convert the licensing of everything that's part of the
> running system, including things not directly linked to it.

Ahh. Thank you for the clarification. Licenses are much like power
adapters, modular software installation tools. Everyone wants to
invent their own, many have similar fundamental flaws, none are
completely compatible, and we wind up with something like this from
XKCD.

https://xkcd.com/1406/