Re: F30 Self-Contained Change proposal: Ibus-typing-booster default for Indian languages

Owen Taylor <otaylor@xxxxxxxxxx> さんはかきました:

>> Currently, ibus-m17n is the default input method for Indian languages
>> in Fedora.  ibus-typing-booster uses the same libm17n used by
>> ibus-m17n to support input for Indian languages and thus it can do
>> everything ibus-m17n can do. But on top of that, ibus-typing-booster
>> supports predictive input by remembering user input and by using words
>> from dictionaries.  Therefore, ibus-typing-booster is a more useful input method
>> for these languages.
>>
>> == Benefit to Fedora ==
>> A better input experience for users of Indian languages.
>
> How would I try this out in Fedora 29?
>
> I see that I have ibus-typing-booster installed, but I don't see any
> sign of it in the GNOME "Region & Language" panel input source
> selection. Does ibus-typing-booster look like one input support for
> each supported language, or does it look like a single input source?

It looks like a single input source. Here are some
screen shots how to add it using the GNOME "Region & Language" panel:

http://mike-fabian.github.io/ibus-typing-booster/documentation.html#adding-gnome

It is listed under “Other” in the GNOME "Region & Language" panel input
source selection.

That is because it use “<language>t</language>” here:

    $ /usr/libexec/ibus-engine-typing-booster --xml
    <engines>
        <engine>
            <name>typing-booster</name>
            <longname>Typing Booster</longname>
            <language>t</language>
            <license>GPL</license>
            <author>Mike FABIAN &lt;mfabian@xxxxxxxxxx&gt;, Anish Patil &lt;anish.developer@xxxxxxxxx&gt;</author>
            <icon>/usr/share/ibus-typing-booster/icons/ibus-typing-booster.svg</icon>
            <layout>default</layout>
            <description>A completion input method to speedup typing.</description>
            <symbol>🚀</symbol>
            <setup>/usr/libexec/ibus-setup-typing-booster</setup>
            <icon_prop_key>InputMode</icon_prop_key>
        </engine>
    </engines>

At the moment, ibus supports only one language in the
“<language>t</language>” tag. And as ibus-typing-booster supports many
languages, “<language>en</language>” does not seem right, it would look
like it supports only English. So only “t” for “Other” seems appropriate
at the moment. But it is a bit hard to find in “Other” in the GNOME
"Region & Language" panel.

When ibus-typing-booster is first used, it defaults to dictionaries
and m17n-input-methods appropriate to the locale it is first started in.

/usr/share/ibus-typing-booster/engine/itb_util.py contains the defaults,
for example for Marathi it has:

LOCALE_DEFAULTS = {
    'mr_IN': {'inputmethods': ['mr-inscript2', 'NoIme'], 'dictionaries': ['mr_IN', 'en_GB']},

So when the locale is mr_IN.UTF-8 while ibus-typing-booster is first
started, it defaults to the two input methods 'mr-inscript2' (a Marathi
input method) and 'NoIme' (that is direct keyboard input, useful for
English) and the dictionaries for mr_IN and for en_GB.

This can be changed in the setup tool of ibus-typing-booster, one can
choose up to 10 input methods and 10 dictionaries at the same time.

> Thanks!
> Owen

Mike FABIAN <mfabian@xxxxxxxxxx>
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。