Re: Listing maintainers vs packages vs dependencies

Hi,

Thanks everyone for such quick answers!

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 6:17 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 13. 01. 19 16:58, Dridi Boukelmoune wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I'm planning to work on the python packages I maintain to move them to
> > python 3 only as per the python 2 deprecation in f30.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Look at https://fedora.portingdb.xyz/maintainer/dridi/
>
> The colors are explained on the main site: https://fedora.portingdb.xyz/
>
> When you click a source package, it lists all the Python subpackages and it may
> or may not display a leaf icon. A leaf means: No dependent packages.
>
> If there is no leaf, the dependencies are listed as well, however only those
> related to Python.

Well that's news to me! This is not hosted under fp.org so I'm a bit surprised.

> To fin all deps of a binary package you are about to remove, use:
>
>    dnf repoquery --repo=rawhide --repo=rawhide-source --whatrequires python2-abc
>
> (You need the fedora-repos-rawhide package installed for this to work.)

I think it was incomplete when I tried that, and I was able to find
one more dependency for the packages I introduced to package the
blockdiag family of packages.

> It seems all your Python 2 packages are only required within the group and by
> rubygem-rabbit. But that one only needs /usr/bin/blockdiag, so if you make that
> file Python 3, you should be OK to drop all the Python 2 ones.

Good to know!

> > I know that at least one package I maintain has a dependency, and I'm
> > curious where the script to get maintainers per package and then
> > packages per maintainer lives. Since multiple people posted on this
> > list with that kind of output I assume such a script exists somewhere.
>
> https://pagure.io/fedora-misc-package-utilities/blob/master/f/find-package-maintainers

A couple days ago I got stuck an extra half hour in a train because of
snow and cleaned up one of the blockdiag dependencies to get a feel
for it [1]. I guess my next question is how to incrementally build all
6 packages without breaking dependencies in Rawhide. Words like koji,
side and tag come to mind but I figured I could ask since I won't make
progress just yet (otherwise I'll browse the docs when I'm ready).

Also one reason why I replied to you (but still, many thanks to
everyone) is that this will remove 6 packages relying on python2-nose,
so I will be looking forward to the moment when %{_bindir}/nosetests
will refer to the py3 version :)

Thanks,
Dridi

[1] 2 files changed, 22 insertions(+), 61 deletions(-) [2]
[2] including 5 lines of changelog and a bit of .gitignore :)