Re: Driver for USB 3.0 Docking Station (displaylink?)

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 9:11:24 AM EST Dario Lesca wrote:
> But "Ubuntu" is not a S.O, it's a Distro! ... a S.O. like other
> mentioned in this page is: "Linux"! ... not "Ubuntu"

S.O?

> Ubuntu is Linux, Linux is not Ubuntu!

Ubuntu includes Linux, yes.

> This is very irritating ... Why not share simply a driver for Linux
> (then for all distros) ?

Different distros have different policies on third party modules.

> Why this drivers is not into kernel of default?

It seems that evdi would only be useful for DisplayLink, but DisplayLink
itself is proprietary. As such, there would be little point in merging evdi
into mainline, even if they made a move to do so.

> Is this https://github.com/displaylink-rpm/displaylink-rpm and this
> https://github.com/DisplayLink/evdi the only possible solution?

Yes and no. That'd work, but unless you intend to keep up with it yourself,
I'd suggest getting it from the following link instead. I actually used this
myself a few weeks ago, while testing something. Note: The displaylink
software itself is proprietary, while the kernel module (evdi) is free
software. If you don't mind running proprietary software (This would be a show
stopper for me, if it were on my own machine), you may use the following
package or your link from above.

http://www.nosuchhost.net/~cheese/fedora/packages/29/x86_64/displaylink.html

Note: This is a third party package, and is not affiliated with or endorsed by
Fedora..

--
John M. Harris, Jr. <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Splentity