Re: F30 System-Wide Change Proposal: Fully remove deprecated and unsafe functions from libcrypt

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 12:05:46PM +0100, Björn 'besser82' Esser wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 15.01.2019, 23:16 -0500 schrieb Scott Schmit:
> > On Wed, Jan 02, 2019 at 04:14:59PM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > > == Documentation ==
> > > The version of the libxcrypt package included with Fedora 30 now
> > > ships the libcrypt.so2 library and does not provide the legacy API
> > > functions that have been provided by glibc's libcrypt.so.1.  The
> > > removed functions by name are encrypt, encrypt_r, setkey,
> > > setkey_r, and fcrypt.
> > >
> > > If you are using a third-party application that links against
> > > those functions, or that is linked against glibc's libcrypt, you
> > > may need to install the libxcrypt-compat package manually.
> > >
> > > All existing binary executables linked against glibc's libcrypt
> > > should work unmodified with the libcrypt.so.1 library supplied by
> > > the libxcrypt-compat package.
> >
> > And I object to nothing in this section informing the user that "those
> > interfaces ... possibly sacrific[e] the security of the user's
> > sensitive data silently."  Especially since it appears that this
> > will the wording that goes into the release notes.
>
> Please have a look at this separate change proposal [1].  It is
> discussed here [2].

> Basically the named unsafe functions are subject to be changed in the
> compat library to some no-function stubs which still guarantee to be
> compliant to POSIX and other standarts, so "Average Joe" users do not
> face that security problem even when installing the compat package.

FWIW, if that change is required for this one to acheive its aims, then
this one should cite the other as a dependency or be the same change.

If that change is also accepted, then that mitigates my concerns.

If it is not accepted (for whatever reason), then as written this change
will not achieve its purpose without something more.

(Process aside, I am glad you put some thought into the follow-through,
it just wasn't evident from this change proposal's writeup.)