Re: F30: System-Wide Change proposal: DNF UUID

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:45:16 AM EST Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le 2019-01-08 18:13, Robert Marcano a écrit :

> >> Not if we don't keep them for long. One idea is to rotate them fairly
> >> frequently. But this is mostly a statement of intent and might be more
> >> about
> >> how we build the backend than about what we force in the client.
> >

> > If the client generate a new UUID every month (for example), or use
> > the current month in the UUID generation algorithm, There is no need
> > for the users to trust that the server is removing the logs is true.
>

> Of course there is. It's rather trivial to correlate the previous UUID
> to the new one when you also have access to the corresponding IP
> addresses.
>
> You need to be serious about data collection and approach it with a
> security mindset “how could I hijack the system and betray users trust”
> not “of course my data users are good they will never try anything evil
> I can collect everything I get my hands on and think later” (the kind of
> credulous US thinking that gave us Cambridge Analytica).
>
> That’s what the GDPR is about. It’s *your* responsibility as data
> collector to think about how data could be used, it’s *your* problem to
> protect it, it’s *your* problem if it’s misused, you can not make it
> available on a platter for others to do evil things with and claim it’s
> those people’s problem.
>
> --
> Nicolas Mailhot

One other major issue I personally have with this is that using a UUID would
make it very easy for anyone with the data to find what IP addresses a
particular user frequents. This would allow for some pretty horrific physical
location tracking.

--
John M. Harris, Jr. <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Splentity