Re: F30 Self-Contained Change proposal: krb5 crypto modernization

BC> == Detailed Description ==

[elided]

Is it just me or does this not actually say clearly what is changing?
The first paragraph talks about two RFCs.  The second paragraph talks
about how easy it is to break single DES.  The third paragraph talks
about how disabled by default is undesirable.  The fourth paragraph
talks about it not being possible to remove RC4.

But nothing says what is changing.  The release notes section says:

BC> krb5 removes support for several known-bad encryption types.
BC> Hopefully users will see no changes.

but it doesn't really say what "removes support" means, or exactly which
encryption types will no longer be supported.

BC> == User Experience ==

BC> Ideally no change!  Worst case some users will see krb5 produce
BC> error messages about bad enctypes not being able to be used (has no
BC> enctype, could not fullfill enctype, etc.).  These pains are the
BC> feeling of the world grinding forward security-wise.

I think this is an extremely optimistic description of the worst case
behavior.

There is a good document for migrating from old encryption types at
https://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-1.16/doc/admin/advanced/retiring-des.html
Note that the last paragraph there mentions that single-DES is still
basically OK for the K/M principal and it's not required to use
allow_weak_crypto to access a database encrypted with single-DES.  I
can't tell if this change actually intends to remove all support for the
single-DES algorithm, but if so then it is highly important to
communicate the additional need to roll over the master key and stash
files.

It would also be nice to document a way to find principals which do not
have a sufficiently strong key.

I personally have a kerberos database which has existed for a very long
time now and am still dealing with the 3DES deprecation (and the fact
that the F29 crypto policies changed to remove it from
supported_enctypes).

 - J<