Re: Backwards incompatible changes planned for Bodhi 4.0.0

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 09:36:09AM -0500, Randy Barlow wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-12-13 at 01:40 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > Is there an executive summary as to what's backwards incompatible and
> > what the impact on the average user is? A quick look at the kanban
> > doesn't give me any understanding :)
>
> Each of the issues on the kanban board is a proposal to make a
> backwards incompatible change. I have not written any summary other
> than to gather those together in a kanban. Many of them are removing
> code that I don't believe is used (but that will have an effect on the
> REST API, or will require admin intervention to upgrade).
>
> Bodhi has many types of users, from release engineers, to admins, to
> packagers, to integrators, to testers.
>
> Here are some of the proposals I'd draw the most attention to:
>
> * Drop the update title (a list of NVRs that is very buggy) as the
>   Update's primary key, and instead use the update alias (the string
>   that looks like FEDORA-2018-abcde) as the only identifier[0].

+1. For big updates the title is completely useless (e.g. kde updates
with 100+ packages).

> * Drop Python 2 support in the client[1] (we will need some
>   dependencies to move to Python 3 to bring this to Rawhide.)

+1, by the time bodhi 4 is out, a large part of the python2 stack will
be gone.

> * Switch to OpenID Connect[2], which will require backwards
>   incompatible changes in the authentication API and possibly in the
>   Python bindings to the REST API[2].

Sounds good.

> * Drop anonymous comments[3] - you can't ask follow up questions
>   because anonymous users don't get e-mails. It's not a very useful
>   feature.

+1. In my experience those happen much more often because people forget
to log in than because they actually want to post anonymously.

> * Change how the edit APIs work so that a diff is sent rather than the
>   entire set of fields[4].
> * Remove critpath karma[5].

+1. I know it has some uses, adamw recently pointed some out, but I
don't think the balance is strongly on the side of not needing that field.

Zbyszek