Re: Future of MongoDB - Legal Issues with SSPLv1

Chris Adams píše v Po 10. 12. 2018 v 12:52 -0600:
> Once upon a time, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> > Has anyone approached the parent company with a specific lists of
> > concerns
> > such that they could have the opportunity to update the verbiage of
> > the
> > license prior to removing it from Fedora?
>
> Reading their FAQ about their SSPL license, they repeatedly try to
> distinguish between "restriction" and "condition".  According to
> them,
> they are not restricting your use, just putting conditions on it -
> not
> sure how that's different.

RedHat Legal said about the license:
"It's the consensus of our team that SPPLv1 is not a free software
license (we've discussed it among ourselves quite extensively)." (2018-
11-28)

> The changes from the GPLv3 are IMHO pretty significant and
> intentional,
> so I don't expect they have any interest in changing their new
> license
> (or they wouldn't have written it to begin with).

There is some interest in changing it. MongoDB posted updated license
(SSPLv2) for OSI review [1]. But mongodb code is not released under
this updated license yet.

Comment from RedHat Legal member about updated license:
"It is certainly somewhat better in my opinion -- for example  the new
version does not require the stack of components subject to the source
code requirement to actually be SPPL licensed (instead they can be
under any OSI-approved or FSF-free license), which seems to weaken one
of the strongest objections to SPPLv1 (that it was basically impossible
to comply with). Whether the revised version should be considered
acceptable from an open source/free software definitional perspective
(and thus, for example, acceptable for Fedora or Red Hat products) is
something I currently am undecided on and our team hasn't discussed it
yet. Limited feedback on the OSI license-review list so far continues
to be negative.

I think it is unlikely that OSI would act on the new version in the
near future (where to me near future means "next month or so"),
although OSI is about to roll out some new guidelines about timing of
decisions on licenses that may have the effect of accelerating the
decision process." (2018-11-29)

[1] http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensour
ce.org/2018-November/003836.html