Re: Proposal: Faster composes by eliminating deltarpms and using zchunked rpms instead

On 16/11/2018 22:07, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
The uncompressed local chunks would be combined with the downloaded
compressed chunks to create a local rpm that will pass signature
verification without needing to recompress the uncompressed local
chunks, making this computationally much faster than rebuilding a
deltarpm, a win for users.

It would be really nice if, while changes are being made to RPM for this, we could get rid of the local rpm build step and move support for applying deltas into RPM itself. I know this is likely to be a lot more involved than only changing the compression scheme, but I really think it's worth it.

In fact, a quick poke through the rpm-maint list finds this open RPM RFE https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/issues/433 which shows that the RPM dev team are open to the idea.

Currently, enabling deltarpms is a trade-off. If you have faster local storage than download, deltas are a win. If your download is fast enough, deltas add more overhead than they save. A system whereby deltas can be applied with the same or less resources on the end host to downloading the full RPM is a win for everyone. Combining that with a system whereby the delta is actually just selective range downloads of the payload of a "normal" binary RPM is the icing on the Fedora Infrastructure cake ;)

--
HJ