Re: Proposal: Faster composes by eliminating deltarpms and using zchunked rpms instead

On 11/18/18 7:19 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 at 12:49, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I suspect the first is true, but zchunk does actually allow for a
>>> global (per-file) dictionary that can be used to compress each chunk.
>>> The difficulty is that the dictionary has to stay the same between file
>>> versions, or the chunk checksums won't match.  There would have to be
>>> some thought put into how to generate and store the dictionaries.
>>>
>>> As for how much bigger a zchunked rpm will be compared to an xz rpm, at
>>> the moment it's a bit hand-wavy.  Based on zchunked repodata work I've
>>> done, I think we might be looking at a size that's slightly smaller
>>> than a gzipped rpm.  I won't know for sure until I put together a
>>> proof-of-concept, but I want to make sure that there aren't any gaping
>>> holes in the proposal before I do that.
>>>

>> I did some work several months ago to evaluate zstd compression for
>> RPMs for Fedora, because of the lower memory and CPU usage for
>> (de)compression. However, the average size increase from xz was pretty
>> large (~20% or more on average, and nothing ever was either the same
>> or smaller), even with heavier compression settings. That might have
>> changed a bit with newer zstd releases that offer some more tunables,
>> but I think it'll remain a tough sell on disk space.
>
> So there are at least 4 legs here:
> CPU usage (in both uncompression install and deltarpm)
> Memory usage per transaction
> Network amount
> Disk amount
>
> I expect that the best we are going to get in any 'improvement' is
> going to be 3 out of the 4. The xz compression and delta-rpm has a
> cpu/memory tradeoff for disk and network in comparison to gzip but it
> is mostly acceptable if you have fairly modern desktops. However for
> older hardware or lower power systems that tradeoff may not be good.

Good point. Given that we start to have Fedora IoT we have to look at
those creatures. IoT devices hate heavy RAM usage, hate disk usage are
half way okay with CPU usage (but keep in mind it may take an hour to
decompress) and depending on the upstream, either use mobile data for
networking or when you're lucky some WiFi/Bluetooth/… thing.

Means:
CPU usage: Getting worse here, doesn't hurt too much
Memory usage: Don't! Get! Worse!
Network amount: Well, people wouldn't be happy when it gets worse, but
mobile data gets cheaper every day.
Disk amount: People won't be happy with an increase here, but as long as
it stays somewhere within 10% it's fine, more than 20% would already
hurt a lot.

So when we want to revisit RPM, we should keep our new fellows in mind.
Maybe we get some OSTree magic going? There we already see deltas
between versions and we get chunks.

--
Signed
Sheogorath