Re: Upstream tip wanted: CI service for Big Endian acrhes

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 13:32:57 +0100
Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Recently I've reported some Big Endian related test failures to an
> upstream project [0].
>
> I was asked by an upstream project maintainer, whether I know some
> free Continuous Integration services where they can easily run their
> testsuite on Big Endian.
>
> Any tips?
>
>   * Upstream uses Travis CI to test on x86_64 Linux (Ubuntu)
>   * Upstream uses AppVeyor to test on Microsoft Windows
>   * It's a pure Python project, noarch, but some changes need to be
> done when loading/saving binary data (LE) with NumPy on BE system.
>
> What I've considered:
>
>   * COPR (but there is no big endian arch)
>   * (Ab)using Koji (I guess that would be considered a bad practice?)
>   * using QUEMU on Travis CI [1]

I have seen some other projects using user-space QEMU in Travis for
checking eg. armv7 builds, but don't ask me about the names :-)

One problem is that these days it is mainly s390x being an actively
developed big endian architecture in Linux as Power on Linux is focusing
on ppc64le. But there is the OpenMainframe project [1] backed by Linux
Foundation, so in the long term we might find help there.

		Dan

[1] https://www.openmainframeproject.org/