Re: mass-removal of LANG=anything-not-C.UTF-8 in packages

On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 10:14:58PM +0100, Rafal Luzynski wrote:
> 6.11.2018 00:24 Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Dear maintainers,
> >
> > I'm working again on implementing
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Remove_glibc-langpacks-all_from_buildroot.
> > [...]
> >
> > Once that's done, I'll file the PRs to actually replace
> > glibc-langpacks-all
> > with glibc-minimal-langpacks in mock and koji.
>
> Sorry if it's been discussed already before but one thing makes me wonder.
> If glibc requires glibc-langpack and then we create glibc-minimal-langpack
> which is empty and its only purpose is to provide glibc-langpack and thus
> satisfy the dependency, then maybe we should just drop glibc-langpack
> dependency from glibc and it would solve the problem? glibc-all-langpacks
> could be removed rather than replaced with glibc-minimal-langpack.
> The existence of glibc-minimal-langpack proves that glibc is able to work
> without any external locale data.
>
> Otherwise your change looks correct to me (although I am aware of the
> objections expressed in this thread).

Things are the way they are so that without the additional step of
specifying glibc-minimal-langpack, one get's all the locales by
default. This design was chosen for maximum backwards compatibility when
the langpack split was being made.

Installing no locales by default would probably be the default if we
were starting from scratch today, but when the split was made, a
different choice was made. I don't see enough benefit to revisit this.

Zbyszek