rpm-ostree 2018.9 (and rollup of other releases)

This is one of a semi-regular rollup/highlights post of what's happening in the rpm-ostree project, used by [Fedora Atomic Host](https://getfedora.org/atomic/) as well as [Fedora Silverblue](https://silverblue.fedoraproject.org/), and planned to be used by the converged [Fedora CoreOS](https://coreos.fedoraproject.org/).
We make releases approximately once a month.

Previously: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/5PPQYJV72TUKW2OAUUWHRPFEURRS2F4N/

We just recently released v2018.9:
https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/releases/tag/v2018.9

The previous rollup post linked above was discussing v2018.6 - so an astute reader well-versed in incrementing integers will surmise we also released:
https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/releases/tag/v2018.8
https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/releases/tag/v2018.7

Additionally since then, in the libostree project there have also been 3 releases:
https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/releases/tag/v2018.9
https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/releases/tag/v2018.8
https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/releases/tag/v2018.7

(We don't always release once a month for each project, but so far the version numbers of the two have stayed roughly in sync)

Looking over the releases, I'll just highlight two things from the libostree side.
First are some patches from Javier Martinez Canillas to better integrate with the BootloaderSpec
support in GRUB2 - hopefully for both Fedora CoreOS and Silverblue
we can drop os-prober.  The other thing I think is neat on the libostree side is we have a new contributor
who is working on Rust bindings: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/ostree-list/2018-October/msg00000.html

On the rpm-ostree side, we now default to "staging" updates.  This fixes
the "where did my changes in /etc go" problem.  For Fedora CoreOS,
the plan is definitely to do automatic updates by default just like Container Linux.
We are having discussion about that in this issue:
https://github.com/coreos/fedora-coreos-tracker/issues/3

I would like to turn this on in Silverblue too by default, although there is more work to do
gnome-software side for that.

On the low side, we have hit some bugs in `ex livefs`, and it now requires
a `--i-like-danger` switch.  We plan to revisit this in the future, but
personally...I consider it somewhat of a feature, as it discourages installing
software directly on the host, particularly development tools.
(This is venturing somewhat from rpm-ostree rollup, but keep an eye on
 https://github.com/debarshiray/fedora-toolbox )

There's been a lot of internal cleanups in rpm-ostree; in particular the YAML
syntax is now working very well, and we have continued "oxidation", or conversion
of some C code into Rust.

Probably one of the biggest focuses of effort as been on the new
https://github.com/coreos/coreos-assembler
project which we plan to use for Fedora CoreOS.  For anyone who thinks
"FAH/Silverblue are interesting, but I really want to build my own" - please keep an eye
on that project and try it out.  We will support the existing `rpm-ostree compose tree`
interface probably forever, but it's likely that most improvements on the build side
will land in the coreos-assembler project.

Also speaking of custom builds, a good example improvement is that
rpm-ostree now supports `recommends: false` in the treefile, as was
requested by the Fedora IoT group.

A lot of work happened in the background for rojig ♲📦:
https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/issues/1081
It's possible that that will be stabilized in the next release or two.

There's more than this of course, if you're interested please
do have a look at the individual releases too!