Re: python?-sip-api is no longer available, breaking python-wxpython4

On Sat, 27 Oct 2018, Scott Talbert wrote:

The problem with using the bundled copy is that the bundled copy
doesn't
include the sip binary.  So if we use the wxpython bundled sip module
code with the sip package's sip binary, we could end with mismatched
sip versions.

Wow, that's seems like a fragile setup indeed, what does your upstream
recommend?

Well, the upstream build process downloads a copy of the sip binary from
the wxpython website.

For solving this, I am seeing these options:

1) Have the 'sip' package generate a private copy of the sip module for
wxpython as you have done for Qt4 and Qt5.

2) Include the sip module source code in the 'sip-devel' package and
wxpython can generate its own private copy of the module during build.

3) Bundle the sip binary source code (that matches the existing bundled
sip module code) into wxpython and build the sip binary as part of the
wxpython build.

Thoughts?

It really seems to me that the better design (for sip) would be to allow
the sip binary to generate the sip module code during build, so that the
private copy of the module could live in the user packages, not in the
sip package.

sip binary is now in the 'sip' package, isn't that all you need to build
the bundled code?

No, because as I mentioned before, there is potential for a sip version
mismatch - the sip binary will be sip version x, whatever is currently
packaged in Fedora, but the sip module will be version y, whatever happens
to be bundled by wxpython.

OK, in that case, I can restore the non-namespaced sip...

I still think you should poke your upstream that this is an unreasonable
thing to expect downstreams to handle (ie, their expectation to use a
precompiled sip binary is problematic in many ways).

Well, I forgot about one thing. Upstream actually includes the sip generated .cpp files in the tarball, so technically sip isn't even required to build wxpython. However, using the generated .cpp files doesn't seem right in the spirit of trying to build from original source. Also, it makes it impossible to patch the original source files and renerate the .cpp.

Just FYI - Debian appears to be patching PyQt5 to continue using the public sip module:

https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/modules/pyqt5/blob/debian/master/debian/patches/public_sip.diff

Scott