Re: Fedora should replace mailing lists with Discourse

So, my opinion on email vs. web forum is that it is comes down to
freedom vs. lock-in.

With mailing lists (and Usenet), messages are distributed in a
more-or-less well-defined format, and users are able to choose clients,
filtering, etc. to suit their use patterns.  Sometimes people do novel
things that help them handle volume, find and track topics they are
interested in, etc.

With a web forum, users are limited to consuming content in the way the
forum developer created, as chosen to be applied by the system managers.
Rarely do users have any control over how they access the content, and
they still only can control it in the way the developers thought of,
implemented, tested, and continue to support.  I've used web forums
where a function I used regularly went away with an upgrade because the
developers didn't think enough people used them and didn't want to
support them anymore.

Now, that freedom to do as you please has kind of fallen by the wayside
on the Internet in general; personal blogs went to hosted blogs (with
more uniform interfaces) and then on to mass-hosted social media (with
an interface decided entirely by the company running it).  So maybe I'm
just old-fashioned that way and not enough other people care.

I'll admit up front that I haven't checked out Discourse yet.  However,
I haven't seen before anything that handles the way I consume email,
especially mailing lists.  I'll keep selected messages of a thread
around for later reference, flag messages so they'll be highlighted when
I open a folder in the future, filter out certain keywords or posters on
rare occasions, and more - and that's just off the top of my head.

Also, I follow a bunch of different mailing lists.  If they all were web
forums, I'd have a bunch of different interfaces to deal with, sites to
visit, functionality to learn, etc., instead of my single mail client
that I can tweak to my personal use patterns and can bring it all
together.

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>