Re: Fedora should replace mailing lists with Discourse

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 01:35:01PM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> Ah nice side-thing I just found out, discussion.fedoraproject.org does
> not show *anything* unless I let my browser access this website
> http://discourse-cdn-sjc1.com

That's because we're using the hosted option. We could instead decide to
host ourselves; we didn't want to do that for the initial experiment. But,
actually, this is not nefarious. I encourage you to actually load that page
and see what is there. Or, actually, it's short, so I'll copy it here:

What is this site?
==================

As defined in Best Practices for Speeding Up Your Web Site, this is a domain
operated by discourse.org for quickly serving static assets that make up
hosted Discourse forums:

1. We use a lightweight, minimal web server for serving simple static files
   as quickly as possible.

2. Using a different domain name increases the number of parallel downloads
   that the browser can perform.

3. Using a different domain name means browser cookies are not sent or
   attached to requests to this domain, reducing traffic and roundtrip
   times, and increasing cacheability.

4. The files are centralized (served from a single domain) and static (they
   do not change often), and thus gain maximum benefit from a CDN (content
   delivery network) which can send those files from the internal node
   geographically closest to the user requesting them.

What is served from this domain?

Static assets necessary for a discourse.org forum to operate, such as site
logos, JavaScript code, and images in posts. If you view source on the
hosted Discourse forum page and search for "CDN", you'll see exactly which
assets are served from this domain.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>