Re: Fedora should replace mailing lists with Discourse

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 08:51:33 -0700
"Gerald B. Cox" <gbcox@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Yeah, based upon the trial and previous comments I knew it was being
> considered.  The point
> of my thread was that many people probably haven't taken the time to
> checkout the Fedora Discourse
> website or read the Foreman analysis that Matt provided.   They
> should.

Did this.  I didn't like all the clicking; I prefer shortcut keys.
>From what I can see on the web, Discourse is trying to mimic social
platforms so users familiar with them find it easy to use.  Also seems
targeted to mobiles.  That *could* be beneficial for getting new blood
into Fedora, as most younger people who show interest are going to be
in the intersection of those two factors.

> The difference between using Discourse and mailing lists is night and
> day.

But which is night and which is day?  :-)  Seriously, this is a value
judgement, which is true for *you*, but not necessarily for others.
Are you similar to the people who are being targeted by this change?
Yes?  That's evidence it might work.

> As far as larger lists... check out this link:
> https://meta.discourse.org/t/biggest-busiest-discourse-forums/30674

I don't think any of the Fedora lists I'm subscribed to are high
traffic, even this one, so that isn't really relevant.  I suppose it
does show there is room for growth.

The fact that the software is open source gives insurance that if the
site goes under, Fedora doesn't have to lose all its interaction
archives. Maybe the database could be backed up periodically, so in an
emergency Fedora could run the software and bring them back up.