Re: updates not pushed stable prior to f29 freeze

On Fri, 2018-10-12 at 17:33 +0200, Martin Kolman wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-10-12 at 16:04 +0200, Kalev Lember wrote:

> > > Ok, that's much earlier than I thought.  Thanks for the clarification.
> >
> > The start of the freeze is a long standing confusion. This is something
> > where we could do much better. Could FESCo change the release schedule
> > so that instead of saying that a freeze starts on Tuesday at 00:00,
> > change it to say Monday at 23:59? That would be so much clearer and
> > remove all ambiguity.
> Another issue is the all the delays any state changes introduce in the bodhi updates
> (push to updates, push to stable, etc.). Coupled with the updates being locked
> during the pushes and being repushed & all karma lost if any package is added or changed,
> I would say it is often almost impossible to actually get an updated to stable during the
> non-freeze periods.

This is clearly an exaggeration, as in practice we get hundreds of
updates landing during the non-freeze periods.

> This is even more augmented for installer related updates that unlike say Firefox fewer people
> are likely to be even able to test. Also it's still not possible for maintainers with disjoint
> commit rights to submit a shared updated without having to go bother a proven packager to do it for them.

This is really your problem, and it doesn't have a lot to do with
delays or anything like that, it's just that testing installer updates
is hard, period.

I'm working on an openQA test to try and mitigate this, but it's
blocked by a weird lorax bug that I keep not having time to investigate
because other stuff gets set on fire (by all those 'stable' updates
that you think aren't happening :>)

> In the end it more and more looks like it is better to get all changes and non-critical bug fixes in
> via Rawhide and only bother with branched updates for critical blocking issues, rather than trying to fix as
> many issues as possible before GA.

If you have an installer update that you want to get out during a non-
freeze period, just poke us (QA) and ask. We will take the time to
build an image and test it. If you don't poke us, we may not, because I
don't have an alert set for anaconda updates showing up, or anything
like that - we may not even notice it.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey