Re: PSA: Please check that your Python 2 package doesn't have dependent packages before dropping it

On 9.10.2018 23:08, Randy Barlow wrote:
Greetings!

I've been bitten twice in the past week by dependencies of my packages
dropping the Python 2 RPMs, presumably due to the Fedora 30 change[0].

If you see something like that again, please report that directly to the package maintainer who removed it + us (me/python-devel mailing list/#fedora-python/...).

We do our best to avoid this kind of situation. Sometimes a maintainer fails to read instructions, sometimes we screw up.

What were the packages that bit you? Do we need to fix them or was this taken care of already?

Note that the change does state that the package should not be dropped
if other packages depend on them.

On that note, I do know how to check if other packages Require my
package:

$ dnf repoquery --whatrequires <something_my_package_provides>

Be sure to check rawhide:

$ dnf --repo=rawhide repoquery --whatrequires xxxx

How do I check if other packages BuildRequire my package? There doesn't
seem to be a --whatbuildrequires option on dnf's repoquery.

$ dnf --repo=rawhide-source repoquery --whatrequires xxxx
[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Mass_Python_2_Package_Removal
Thanks,
--
Miro Hrončok