Re: Python setuptools and files to be installed in the installation prefix

On 10/2/18 10:06 PM, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 2.10.2018 16:30, Federico Bruni wrote:
Hi folks

While trying to figure out a way to install some desktop specific files (such as APP.desktop or APP.appdata.xml) within the installation prefix (instead of python installation) using setuptools, I started wondering if it's actually a good idea.

AFAIK setuptools (PyPA) considers this a bad practice and doesn't (want to) support this. It's up to the Linux package maintainers to do this.

I don't remember where this information comes from, but I'm 90% sure it's accurate.

Peter and/or Nick might know more. Cced.

If you use Python's upstream packaging mechanisms, the expectation is that the result is installable into a self-contained environment like venv, Conda, or a user's home.
To install these files system-wide, put it in the RPM spec.

It's probably possible to do this correctly from setuptools, but that would put you in the business of figuring out how to do it correctly from setuptools. I don't think you want that :)