Re: Fedora for Web Development fail

On Wed, 2018-09-26 at 11:04 +0000, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> - There is no GUI for it that I can find. I just like GUIs,
> especially for this sort of work that I might do for a stretch at a
> time and then not have to do for months afterwards and have to
> relearn next time.

I don't know of a GUI for Vagrant itself, so yeah that's a deficiency.
As I noted in my other e-mail, you can use virt-manager for the non-
create/destroy actions, but to my knowledge you can't escape writing a
little Ruby and using a little bit of CLI.

> - I have had - I have been told coincidentally and with just terrible
> luck - horrible experiences with vagrant.

You aren't alone. I too have had unfun experiences, especially if it
gets confused about its state. State is kept in no fewer than three
places - in your project dir there's a .vagrant, there's a
~/.vagrant.d, and it keeps some state in libvirt too. If these get out
of sync (which can happen if a VM gets destroyed without Vagrant's
knowledge) it's super hard to get it working again. I've found that
going and just deleting those three places and restarting libvirt can
get it back to a clean state, but yeah it's painful.

> - My use case here is I have a big beefy workstation, and a few
> different laptops. I don't want to have to set the environment up
> multiple times or be moving large files around. I just want to set up
> the environment once, and be able to ssh into it from wherever. I'm
> not too worried about damage bc I can clone the VM once I have
> everything working and setup, and everything else should be in git
> anyway.

FWIW, this is also my use case, but I still use Vagrant. I use a laptop
as my workstation, and have the big beefy workstation as a headless
server. I ssh to the big system and do all my Vagrant work there. This
way my laptop's battery life is way better when I'm on the move, and
that big system is faster anyway.

Even though I do this, I find it helpful to be able to completely
destroy the VM and re-create it, knowing that all the information to
re-create it is in git (via the Vagrantfile + Ansible playbook). Before
I used it, I would lose time occasionally managing my development VMs,
or trying to get them working again if something went wrong. Now when
something goes wrong, I don't even bother trying to figure it out - I
just destroy and re-create. This is also nice if you want to try out
things that might be destructive. Whatever solution you go for, I do
recommend you find one that gives you this quality because it will save
you time. Using containers would also achieve this goal if that
interests you. You can use Vagrant to run your containers too ☺

> Does that make sense or am I trying to fit a square peg in a round
> hole here?

Yeah makes sense. Vagrant is certainly not perfect and isn't going to
fit everyone's needs. I find it overall saves me time and I've spent
enough time with it to learn to work around its weird problems so they
don't bother me as much anymore.