Re: Blocking criteria proposal for F30+: Printing

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 9:47 AM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 8:33 AM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to propose that we add the following criteria to Beta for Fedora 30+:
> > * Printing must work on at least one printer available to Fedora QA.
> > "Work" is defined as the output from the device matching a preview
> > shown on the GNOME print preview display. (Note that differences in
> > color reproduction are not considered "non-working".)
> >
> +1 to this
>
> > and this to Final for Fedora 30+:
> > * Printing must work on at least one printer using each of the
> > following drivers:
> > (I don't know which ones to specify here, but we ought to try to
> > figure out a cross-section that covers a large swath of our expected
> > user base).
> >
> My main concern here is making sure QA has at least one of each of the
> necessary printers. That could get large pretty quickly if we're not
> careful. I'm also concerned that we could end up blocking the final
> because a printer broke or is out of ink, or other hardware failure. I
> think I'd rather keep the Beta proposal for Final. Since we have no
> criterion currently, adding the Beta criterion is an improvement. We
> can always make the requirement more aggressive if it turns out to be
> insufficient.

We do in fact have criteria that we cannot always verify (like the
Serial-Attached SCSI criteria). In this case, we don't always test it,
but if someone who does have that hardware reports that it doesn't
work, we generally will block on it. So I'd suggest that this criteria
essentially means "We block if it is *known* to fail".