Re: Heads Up: python2 is marked as deprecated

Miro Hrončok wrote:
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Deprecating_Packages

This policy is highly impractical. Any package can be deprecated without
notice, in some situations even without any kind of approval (if there is
nothing using it in Fedora yet). One needs to do a repoquery to even get the
list of deprecated packages, because they are not centrally tracked. And if
I package or review a new package, I am now supposed to check every single
BuildRequires (and maybe also its transitive Requires closure?) for whether
it "Provides: deprecated()"!? There is just no way I am going to do that.

Applying this policy to a language interpreter that is used by dozens of
useful packages that are not yet packaged for Fedora makes it even more
impractical. Let's face it: lots and lots of upstream software will NEVER be
ported to Python 3. Yet, it is still useful, and may be the only way to do
what the user needs to do. Banning all that software from Fedora is doing a
major disservice to our users!

        Kevin Kofler