Re: Managing stream (arbitrary) branch and module lifecycles

On Tuesday, 11 September 2018 at 21:43, Richard Shaw wrote:
[...]
> This would take care of most of the complains about people using "git merge
> master" across release branches (even though that's the workflow documented
> in the wiki). I know I CAN use git cherry-pick but I've never used it
> before and again, I'm not a program. Almost everything I've learned about
> git is through Fedora package maintenance and some small pull requests for
> minor build fixes with packages I maintain.
>
> The hard part for me is maintaining EL 6/7 branches. I know there are a lot
> of complaints about using %if conditionals in specs to have one spec file
> for all Fedora and EPEL releases and I agree when it gets to be too much it
> makes the spec very unreadable especially by others (proven packagers) that
> may have to step in and make changes. If stream branches could somehow make
> this easier that would be great.

I found the "merging upwards" workflow from gitworkflows(7) quite useful for
Fedora for leaf packages that can be updated across the board while
retaining some small differences between branches like changelogs.

Branches remain mergeable and you can easily remove any conditionals and
keep cruft limited to older branches.

Regards,
Dominik
--