Re: Heads Up: python2 is marked as deprecated

On 10.9.2018 05:07, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 6:00 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 9.9.2018 23:21, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 2:29 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 7.9.2018 19:21, Raphael Groner wrote:
Does this deprecation of python2 mean requests for package review with python2 only are now invalid?

Yes. You can always get a FPC exception from (any) guideline or a FPC
exemption from the review process, or a FESCo approved Change proposal,
or cheat, but following the normal way of things, new packages that use
python2 are not to be approved.

It's going to create some difficulties with porting leading edge
python modules back to RHEL 7 or CentOS 7. The flexibility to enable
python2 compilation, only, has been useful for me several times.

Feel free to compile Python 2 stuff for you own testing on Fedora. Just
don't put it in the repos. Use Python 3 in Fedora.

There's Python 3 in EPEL as well. I encourage you to use that.

If you'd like to have Python 3 in RHEL proper, use appropriate channels
to request it, however there are already possibilities, see for example
https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/08/13/install-python3-rhel/

(And I cannot answer you question.)

Fair enough. The EPEL publication of the "python34" and
"python34-devel", etc. packages does not provide "python3" or
"python3-devel" as packages, so the existing SRPM's from fedora would
require significant customization to use that. I've worked extensively
with the sclo python backages for RHEL and CentOS, As things stand,
I've been able to rely on the default python2 for compilation there,
which I understand is now deprecated. I'm not trying to say "don't
deprecate python2", I'm saying "this is one of the immediate results
that I, and others, will find awkward to spend time working around".

Let us know if you need help (with a specific problem you run into).

--
Miro Hrončok