Re: Buildroot-only modules

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 03:24:06AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
> > Some modules are built in MBS/Koji but are never released to users.
> > Currently such modules can only be used as build dependencies of other
> > modules.  In future, if solution like "ursa-major" [1] is implemented,
> > such modules could also be used as build dependencies for non-modular
> > packages.
> >
> > An example of buildroot-only module is javapackages-tools.  This
> > module is used as build dependency for 4 modules, but it is not
> > included in any compose and it's not shipped to users.
> >
> > Should such modules be considered as allowed in Fedora?
>
> IMHO, no, why should that be allowed? If you think it through, it
> effectively means Fedora is no longer self-hosting.
>
> If you need a module to build your packages, you also need to make that
> module available to the users, if only to build their software.

Available can mean many things.  It doesn't have to mean "be
present in Fedora repos", I'd say.  If the building block module
is easy to get via other means, it should be fine.

Module local builds (via fedpkg module-build-local) are
definitely capable of finding the dependency and fetching the
packages for you.  I suppose there could be other tools that
would allow you to download such modules so you could play with
them without polluting the "applications" repo.