Re: GNOME 3.30.0 megaupdate

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 at 11:02, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

What the Fedora packagers/desktop group should have done is something
like the following:

1. Made it clear to releng/QA/FESCO that the release date was X. [This was done]
2. Made it clear that they would need either to move the beta or get
an out of band exception ready for it. [This doesn't seem to have been
done.]
3. Keep bringing it up regularly to keep it in people's brain buffers.
[This was definitely not done.]

Yes that is people work when coding is more fun, but it is what keeps
this blowing up every release. Most groups and individuals have been
following those rules above and this makes it feel like they did it
for all for nothing. So of course they are going to be pissed off when
any group be it GNOME, systemd, gcc/glibc, python, kernel, etc comes
in during a freeze and act like they should get an exception
automatically.

> As a sidenote, this tone of discourse is frankly getting old. GNOME aren't
> there to spite you.

That is a two way street. The distribution doesn't have these
processes in order to spite you but to try and make releases smoother
and faster out the door so you aren't waiting 4 months after your
release to get it on Fedora users desktops. I
--
Stephen J Smoogen.