Re: GNOME 3.30.0 megaupdate

On Wed, 2018-09-05 at 12:14 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 9:04 AM, Kalev Lember <kalevlember@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Dunno what to do wrt the ongoing freeze and getting final 3.30 in F29
> > Beta, I guess it may be too late for that. Any opinions from QA here?
>
> If 3.29 is not what GNOME folks had ever wanted to ship in the Beta,
> why are we hearing about it one week before go/nogo? The schedule has
> been published for what, 9 months? *shrug*
>
> I do not like the idea that it is a QA decision to enforce or relax
> the schedule. This isn't what freeze exception is intended for. It's
> intended for abrasive, ugly, or annoying bugs, that simply do not
> qualify as release blocking and the fix for which is unlikely to
> itself become a blocker. There is no information presented for QA to
> even assess this question as it stands.

Neither the blocker / FE process, nor its decisions, are owned by QA.
By policy it is a joint effort between QA, release engineering and
development.

> The next blocker and freeze exception review is on Monday. We cannot
> even get a release candidate until all known blockers are cleared. The
> earliest we likely see any kind of compose with 3.30 would be maybe
> 1800UTC on Tuesday?

Freeze exceptions can be granted out-of-band with voting in-bug. We've
granted two today already.

>  Haha! Not even two days of testing? That's
> comical.
>
> My opinion, since there are few facts to go on to overcome the burden
> stated in a written process and schedule for some time, is -1 FE. If
> it was important enough to get 3.30 on actual Beta installation media,
> it needed to be done before freeze. Not depend on a freeze exception.
> That is definitely not how things are supposed to work.

As it happens, it is how things have been working, though. We've
granted freeze exceptions for GNOME megaupdates for many of the last
several releases (I can go back and get precise numbers if you like).

Notably, I can't recall a single instance where they broke the world.
This is not something I can say about a lot of packages, so I think the
desktop team deserves some credit and trust for that.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey