Re: Fedora 30 Self-Contained Change proposal: Make ambiguous python shebangs error

> Is this really appropriate for (usually small) scripts which are known
> to work with Python 2 *and* 3?  Why can't we use /usr/bin/python for
> such scripts?

What shall the package depend on? Python 3 or Python 2?

If you know the script works with 3, use python3 shebang. Explicitly. This is better because:

 * the RPM dependency will be correct
 * the Python version to test this with will be just one
 * we'll know this is Python 3 ready and not legacy stuff with old shebangs

"python" shebangs are OK for upstreams. They are not OK for RPM delivered content.  See also https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python#Multiple_Python_Runtimes

If the script is there for a different reason than to be executed directly trough the shebang, consider removing the shebang entirely, marking it nonexecutbale or not shipping it at all. The first two options will allow advanced users to run the script with whatever Python they want.

If the script is there to be executed trough the shebang, the RPM dependency system must know what to pull for that to work.

(Your question keeps popping out every time we say /usr/bin/python is not allowed in Fedora. Please advice what to do put into the guidelines to make it more clear.)