Re: zram-generator

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 02:22:43PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 08/24/2018 07:42 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 05:11:28PM -0000, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> > > Why not Haskell?
> > >
> > > Seriously: you provide no reason for rust other than that "C is not attractive".
> > >
> > > C is surely a reliable implementation language for long running system services.
> >
> > I love C myself and spend my days writing C. But we already have
> > plenty of generators written in C in the systemd codebase. This is
> > about looking for new options, with easier memory management, easier
> > IO, easier error handling.
>
> Handling memory allocation failures is vastly easier in C and C++ than in
> Rust.

Many apps take the sensible decision to just abort()-on-OOM from
malloc() these days.

Of those which try to handle OOM only a tiny percentage have done
enough testing to prove that their handling in every code path with
allocation failures actually works reliably. So I've little confidence
in claims that an app handles OOM well, unless they can provide proof
of high testing coverage.

IMHO in the majority of apps it is better to just abort() and design
to be able to restart & recover state/work from where you left off.
It will need this restart & recovery support regardless to cope with the
inevitable SEGVs the app will get when it screws up C memory handling.

Regards,
Daniel