Re: RFC: Alternative -devel packaging

Le 2018-08-28 16:58, Vít Ondruch a écrit :

Just FTR, the logic is more or less there.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Bootstrapping
https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/789

together with:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/fedora-release/pull-request/7

I hadn't seen the PR, it's a nice enhancement over what guidelines already included. Kudos to everyone involved.

So as long as you do the boostrapping iteration first with "%global
boostrap 1", then the packages have the "~bootstrap" suffix, if you do
subsequent build without the %{boostrap} macro defined, the suffix is
omitted.

Having to set manually
  %global boostrap 1
is the missing part I had in mind.

You need build tool support to scale to language-wide or distro-wide mass rebuilds: 1. you do not want to waste time building in bootstrap mode anything that could build directly in full mode 2. you do not want humans to baby sit the progress of the whole mass rebuild

So the system should
  A. build by itself as much as possible without bootstrapping anything,
B. if A does not succeed, try to solve holdovers (anything that failed build) with a bootstrap pass, C. if B succeeds, rebuild everything that built in B and includes bootstrap conditionals in full mode D. if A or C succeeded, rebuild everything against the result to make sure it is actually self hosting.

All this without human intervention to set a specific mode or select what to bootstrap or not.

(even without bootstrapping we should do the last D. part but I fear we often forget it expect for specific package sets where the maintainer has already been bitten)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot