Re: Scons python2 on fedora 30+

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 2:22 PM Antonio Trande <anto.trande@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Regarding Python2 package removal, 'python2-SCons' needs special
> attention, i guess.
> It's required for building by many packages on current 'rawhide':

[snip]

> sagemath-0:8.2-4.fc29.src

[snip]

> What's the situation of these packages in a middle-term scenario in
> respect of Python2 removal proposal?

Not good.  Sagemath upstream has been working on converting to python
3 for about 5 years now (see https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/15530),
and they are not done.  For now, sagemath must remain a python 2
package.  Honestly, given how much work upstream still has to do, I do
not expect the python 3 version of sagemath to be ready any sooner
than a year from now, and quite possibly not until 2 years from now.

I've been meaning to post about this.  What do we, as a distribution,
want to do?  As I see it, we really only have 2 options.

Option 1.  Tell Fedora users that sagemath will not be available for a
few Fedora releases, until upstream completes the conversion to python
3.

Option 2.  Keep all of the python 2 packages that sagemath needs in
the distribution until the python 3 version is ready, which possibly
means that they have to be kept through Fedora 32.  These are the
immediate dependencies of sagemath.  I haven't gotten around to
computing the transitive closure yet.  Maybe somebody has a script
that can do that.

pynac
python2-brial
python2-configparser
python2-crypto
python2-cryptominisat
python2-cvxopt
python2-cypari2
python2-cysignals
python2-Cython
python2-docutils
python2-flask-autoindex
python2-flask-babel
python2-flask-openid
python2-flask-silk
python2-fpylll
python2-future
python2-gmpy2
python2-html5lib
python2-imagesize
python2-ipykernel
python2-ipython
python2-matplotlib
python2-networkx
python2-notebook
python2-pathlib2
python2-pexpect
python2-pickleshare
python2-pillow
python2-prompt_toolkit
python2-pkgconfig
python2-psutil
python2-ptyprocess
python2-scipy
python2-send2trash
python2-setuptools
python2-six
python2-speaklater
python2-sphinx
python2-sympy
python2-twisted
python2-ZODB3
rpy
scons

>From time to time it is necessary to use the bundled version of
ipython, because Fedora gets too far ahead and the sagemath code can't
cope with the Fedora version.  In that case, the dependencies of
ipython not listed above are needed:

python2-backports-shutil_get_terminal_size
python2-path
python2-simplegeneric
python2-zmq

I prefer option 1, of course, but I recognize that that puts a burden
on other packagers.  What do you members of the Fedora community
suggest?
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/