Got NVMe hardware? I need you!

Hi all,

I've started to look at adding firmware updates for NVMe hardware to
the LVFS project (realistically for Fedora >= 31, so don't get too
excited). Before I know which vendors to approach, and what I need to
ask for, I need to get some statistics about the NVMe hardware the
"typical linux user" is using. I've expanded a lot on the
https://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2018/08/17/nvme-firmware-i-need-your-data/
blog entry I wrote a few days ago if you'd like some more explanation
and justification.

So, what do I would like you to do. You don’t need to reboot, unmount
any filesystems or anything like that. Just:

Install nvme (e.g. dnf install nvme-cli) then do sudo nvme id-ctrl
--raw-binary /dev/nvme0 > /tmp/id-ctrl

If that worked, run the following command:

curl -F type=nvme \
    -F "machine_id="`cat /etc/machine-id` \
    -F file=@/tmp/id-ctrl \
    https://staging.fwupd.org/lvfs/upload_hwinfo

The first command isn’t doing anything with the firmware; it’s just
asking the NVMe drive to report what it knows about itself. It should
be 100% safe, the kernel already did the same request at system
startup.

We are using your random machine ID to ensure we don’t record
duplicate submissions -- if that makes you unhappy for some reason
just choose some other random 32 byte hex string. In the binary file
created by nvme there is the encoded model number and serial number of
your drive; if this makes you uneasy please don’t send the file.

Many thanks,

Richard.