how to troubleshoot performance problems that trigger kidle-inject

Hi,

Example 1: Firefox, 1 tab open (Google Keep)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19dRvyWIgXjN0cyLv21JmPSn-WR9lXx11

Example 2: Firefox, 1 tab open (my bank's web site)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-XMYbyOkWYzgBmo50tdKVUdlioSul11c

It also happens with Chrome. It happens with Fedora's Firefox or
Mozilla Nightly. It doesn't happen when reboot the laptop to Windows
10.

The kinject_idle processes have been happening a lot since I think
kernel 4.17, and there's only light fan or no fan usage when those
processes spin up.

There's the immediate problem, which is that the system becomes
essentially unusable until the kinject_idle threads calm down. And
those won't calm down until most other processes are below 80% CPU. On
the other hand, I often have 20 tabs open in Firefox and the problem
doesn't happen. So it's web site specific, web browser as the top
offender, but gnome-shell is also in there at 70% CPU for unknown
reasons (even when nothing on screen is changing), and then a pile of
seemingly unnecessary kidle_inject processes that make it all even
worse and really slows down the system.

Problem does happen with with X or Wayland.

HP Spectre 13" display, core i7-6500U.

Maybe there isn't much GPU offloading by Chrome and Firefox on Fedora,
and this is enough to prevent the same problem from happening on
Windows 10? The fans definitely get higher more often on Windows 10
than on Fedora.

Another factor might be using two displays, the problem happens less
often if I'm only using the built-in display. The external display
doesn't have much more resolution than the built-in though, so I'd
think the GPU can handle it. A 7 year old Macbook Pro in the same
configuration doesn't exhibit this problem.

Anyway there's a lot going on, and I'm not really sure how to narrow
down the cause of the problem. Web sites with video that takes up more
than 1/2 the area of the display almost immediately stop playing and
result in four 70+% kidle_inject, and then the system is unusable. I
don't play videos often so practically it's not a big deal, but from a
usability issue it basically means this less than 2 year old laptop
can't play videos at all under Fedora. But it can under Windows 10.

So that just tells me something is wrong and there's room for
improvement, but I have no idea where to even file the bug, because I
don't know what to blame.

--
Chris Murphy