Re: Linking commits to builds on dist-git

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:16:13AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 11:00:46AM +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> > Good Morning Everyone,
> >
> > Since koji 1.15 released last December, koji has a dedicated field for each build
> > storing the entire source URL with git hash, regardless of how the build was
> > started.
> > This allows us to know for each build the exact git hash that was used.
> >
> > We've implemented a small service listens to fedmsg messages from koji, retrieve
> > the git hash from that field, and flag the corresponding commit in dist-git with
> > the outcome of the build.
> > This way, just while browsing the commits in dist-git you will be able to
> > directly access the corresponding build made in koji (whether it succeeded or
> > failed).
> >
> > Few examples:
> > https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/rust-exa/c/56591280ba0c1e178105bb4dc59f2c60ea7ff32b
> > https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python-pygit2/c/a5d6031a6682e68d154cfccda51a3549b1aa86df
>
> IIUC this is just a UI addition, not actually using git tags ?
>
> ie, I'd love to be able todo  "git show libvirt-4.5.0-1.fc28" from the cli
> to view a tag / commit from which the NEVR was made.
>
> I get that there'd be security consequences to allowing some service the
> ability to write to git, but there are a variety of ways to deal with that.

I'm pretty sure we used to do this at one point but one of the issue is that
tags are no immutable, packagers can change them even if we block force push.
I believe this is why we no longer do this :)

> For example, at cost of extra storage, the build system could have its own
> clone of the primary dist-git repos  to which it adds the tags. The Fedora
> packagers could add that build system repo as a 2nd git remote to get the
> tags into their local checkout.

That would be one way, it would pretty much double our storage cost indeed :(

Pierre