Re: lazy loading of filelists.xml to speed up dnf

Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't think this is hard to implement, but there's a little detail
> that needs to be discussed: what should happen if the filelists.xml
> download fails? This can happen because the metadata has been rewritten
> in the meantime.

Doesn't that race condition already exist? If the current situation is
that there are multiple files that must match each other, then it's
already possible for the download to fail because a file was replaced
between two HTTP requests. I know of no way to atomically download
multiple files over HTTP. Thus it seems to me that DNF must handle this
situation regardless of whether lazy loading gets implemented or not.

Björn Persson