Re: Why are we shipping debug builds of pythons?

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 5:16 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

an interesting discussion came up in the Python Maint team recently,
about not shipping python3-debug and python2-debug.

On the Chesterton's fence principle [0], I'd would like to know why are
we building and shipping them before we have a discussion about their
removal to save build time and remove packaging cruft.

Anyone has an idea? Those packages are meant to debug Python, yet all
people I know who do that, build they own Python for that purpose (often
from the master branch).

The other main use for the Python debug package is debugging Python C extensions.  I recently made very good use of it while using GDB to debug some extensions I was working on.  This is more than just having debug symbols, which of course is essential, but the debug build means that when you are stepping through the code, you can more easily follow what the interpreter is doing.  Also, I think that is the package that has some niceties that extend GDB to work even better with Python code.

I tracked down the introduction of the python-debug package in this
commit [1] by David Malcolm (CCed) @ 8 years ago, added in Fedora 14
shortly before upgrade to 2.7. Yet the commit message lacks rationale.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Chesterton%27s_fence
[1]
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python/c/f020abd35954981b383884105dad425ba9c6637a

Thanks,