Re: F29 System Wide Change: Remove Excessive Linking

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 4:57 AM, Jakub Jelinek <jakub@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Changing the behavior of say -lpthread on the command line is a bad idea, many projects really expect it to mean that the mentioned library is linked in and if it no longer does, it causes silent breakage. Forcing users to do
-Wl,--push-state,--no-as-needed ... -Wl,--pop-state
whenever they really mean to link some library is too hostile.

My understanding is that at least Debian and SUSE have defaulted to --as-needed for years, and probably more distros do as well... so presumably most problems should have been shaken out already. Is anyone familiar with the status of --as-needed in other distributions?

If Fedora and RHEL are the only major distros that are different, then that argues in favor of adopting this change, so that developers using Fedora don't accidentally write programs that are broken on other distributions. I know I've been stung by this in the past, when an application I developed on Fedora failed to link on Debian....

Michael