Re: Golang SIG for Fedora

----- Original Message -----

Afaik this only reason that we have so many golang-* package they are "only de-bundled dependencies" for other golang base packages they are not meant to be used as devel packages(for developing application for Fedora). One solution to this would be going back to the bundling which is IMHO much worse. For the record not all packages are debundled, though. Maybe other solution might be if we will be able to drive more people to do the Go packaging, because I don't believe that packagers with 100s of packages will baby sit each of them, they will thereat them more as cattle only looking at then when it is really necessary. Maybe the best solution would be to continue with work that jchaloup has started making the Go packaging in Fedora mostly automated.

> 2) many of them are not versioned upstream (we just have references to
> commits)

Afaik also commonly not maintaining API stability...

> 3) different applications that depend on them may need different
> revisions of them.
>
> while solving 3 is part of our duty as packagers (making sure to port the
> dependencies to use the latest versions of their dependencies), 2 seems
> to be quite common in the golang community...

Hopefully with upstream work on vgo and other dependency managers will be improvement for this.

JC