Re: Exim as default MTA.

Florin Andrei wrote:
On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 21:50 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 15:15 +0100, Florian La Roche wrote:

I think exim still has potential to become our future default MTA.

<sigh>

Here we go again.

I was just thinking the same thing myself.

I agree. We really shouldn't be inflicting sendmail on newcomers as the
default MTA. That's a far better candidate for going to Extras, for
those who really want it because they've already suffered the brain
damage its configuration inflicts.
Exim would be a far better default, because it's far easier to configure
and far better documented.

Far easier/better than what? Sendmail? Postfix?

I agree that Sendmail is harder to configure than pretty much any other
MTA, but as for the documentation part, it's actually pretty damn well
documented. To say that Sendmail lacks documentation just shows
ignorance on the subject and makes your whole position much weaker in
the debate.

He never said sendmail lacks documentation, he said exim and postfix were better documented. And they are. Sendmail's documentation is so needlessly complex people have it sitting in front of them and still can't make heads or tails of how to configure it. So your position just went out the window.

Now, i still don't see any rational motive to inflict Exim upon users
when Postfix is comparable, if not better, on all accounts _and_ has
been already included for quite a while with Fedora / Red Hat and the
users are just getting used to it by now.

Both Exim and Postfix were added to RH Linux 6.2 Powertools at the same time.

In fact, many Fedora users that i know switch to Postfix immediately
after installing the OS.

Biased are we? Not once do you mention why Exim shouldn't be the default MTA, you merely claim that because you and your friends use Postfix everyone should?

Please leave the partisan propaganda aside and start thinking
rationally.

Look who's talking. You twisted words, ignored Exim all together, dissed someone who didn't say what you claimed, and then accuse them of spreading Exim propoganda while you spread your postfix propaganda. You could be a little nicer about it?

That said: my vote is Postfix simply because I like the configuration files better than Exim. In terms of my needs both Exim and Postfix have all the features anyone may need in an MTA. Sendmail's draconian configuration files and basically extensive, but confusing documentation really give a huge boost to Exim and Postfix in general.