Re: [HEADS UP] Removal of GCC from the buildroot

On 07/11/2018 12:57 PM, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
> On 07/11/2018 09:26 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

>>> I proposed this a few years ago, but the answer was "no".
>>
>> I think the reason why releng didn't want to do that is because we don't
>> want to trade speed for reliability. True, we don't care if a machine
>> crashes in the middle of a build (because another one will take it after
>> the crashed one comes back), but we don't want to change anything that
>> might affect the actual build artifacts.
>>
>> So, are we sure that nosync (disabling all fsync calls) doesn't change
>> the builds being made? What about test suites for packages that
>> specifically call fsync? They would always pass even if there was a
>> problem?
>
> nosync is used by mock only for running dnf(/yum). It's not used for
> rpmbuild nor runroot, so it won't affect package tests. It could
> theoretically affect scriplets ran during package installation, but I've
> been using nosync in all my Koji instances for a few years and I didn't
> see any problems. Nosync is used in Copr and I didn't get any reports
> about it breaking anything. Recently, to test the change in subject,
> Igor Gnatenko did a few Fedora rebuilds a Koji set up by me, of course
> with nosync enabled, and I didn't see any problems related to nosync either.
>
>> We could try this in staging I suppose and have koschei run a
>> ton of builds to see what breaks...
>
> I would really like that.

I'd say open a releng ticket on it and we can track it there?
This sounds like it might be worth doing...

>> I don't see the cache=unsafe anywhere (although the name sure makes me
>> want to enable it for official builds let me tell ya. ;) Can you point
>> out more closely where it is or docs for it?
>
> cache=unsafe is documented at [1]. (Basically, in virt_install_command
> you append ",cache=unsafe" to --disk parameter, next to "bus=virtio".)
> It makes buildvmhost cache all disk operations and ignore sync
> operations. Similar to nosync, but does not work on buildhw, works on
> virthost level, applies to all operations, not just dnf.
>
> [1]
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html-single/virtualization_tuning_and_optimization_guide/index#sect-Virtualization_Tuning_Optimization_Guide-BlockIO-Caching

Ah, I see at the vm level. Yeah, I don't think this would be very much
of a win for us. The x86_64 buildvm's have all their storage on iscsi,
the arm ones have their storage on ssd's. I suppose it could help the
ppc64{le} ones, they are on 10k sas drives. I'm pretty leary of enabling
anything called 'unsafe' though.

kevin