Re: installing glibc-minimal-langpack in buildroots

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 8:25 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi,

    Right now glibc-all-langpacks is installed in buildroots (mock,
    koji, …).
    It is 24 MB, out of the total of 145 MB. Replacing it with
    glibc-minimal-langpack,
    which has negligible size, would decrease the buildroot size by 17%.

    glibc Requires glibc-langpack, and Suggests glibc-all-langpacks, so it
    gets installed automatically to satisfy that dependency. If a different
    package providing glibc-langpack is installed, glibc-all-langpacks would
    be skipped.

    I think glibc-minimal-langpack should be enough in the buildroot.
    What about adding glibc-minimal-langpack to @Buildsystem ?

My concern there would be that any package that needs langpacks available in its build-system will now need to request them specifically (for example, if the package does tests of localization in %check). So if we made this change, it should probably go through the System-Wide Change process, the same as any other item we remove from the default buildroot.

I agree that it is a useful change, but also that it should go through the Change process.

We are aware of the locale size issue and want to reduce it, but it is not easy, and other more pressing matters tend to intervene. 8-(

Florian