Re: F29 System Wide Change: Discontinue PPC64 as Alternative Architecture

On Mon, 02 Jul 2018 12:57:41 -0500
Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> JK> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DiscontinuePPC64
>
> This may be necessary, but it's sadly unfortunate as (so far as I can
> tell) it leaves us with only one big-endian architecture (s390x).  And
> while it was not difficult to get a login on a ppc64 machine for
> testing, I've not been able to get any shell access on s390x so far.

Then I had to miss your request, we have a public s390x guest running
Fedora that can be used by maintainers and also by interested
upstreams. I'll get back to you next week, when I'll be back in the
office.

> Having builds done on big-endian architectures has helped to point out
> endianness-specific breakage with least one upsteam (which, hooray,
> did get fixed).  Having only one big-endian architecture makes it
> difficult to know when you are facing an endianness problem versus
> something specific to one architecture.  I think we can all agree
> that "your code is broken on all big-endian architectures" sounds
> serious while "your code is broken on this weird mainframe thing that
> nobody actually has" is far less likely to elicit action by a
> time-constrained upstream.

I fully understand, ppc64 is/was easier to get access to and I'm sure
there are still projects with endianness issues. Although the situation
is much much better than when we (re)started Fedora for ppc/ppc64 and
s390/s390x cca 10 years ago. Our thanks go also to the Fedora
maintainer community for the great job they are doing. The Linux on
Power upstream set the directions quite clearly towards ppc64le and it
was matter of time when individual projects' upstreams will discontinue
ppc64 support and we will have to react. Also the complexity of the
dependencies inside Fedora added to this decision.

		Dan